Keeping track of student behavior can be a challenging task for most teachers. It needs to be done with fidelity and privacy. It should be recorded as it happens in order to be truly accurate. It must be done daily, and continue on a consistent basis, regardless of any events which interrupt the regular course of events of the school day.
As a Principal Adoption Consultant at Instructure, I have experienced several occasions where educators were looking for a way to keep track of behavior within Canvas, especially at the elementary level. A solution that I devised for them is to create custom Outcomes in Canvas that you can simply swipe to track using the MagicMarker app on an *iPad.
Imagine walking around your classroom with just an iPad in your hands, observing as students are interacting in their small groups. Susie just demonstrated an understanding of a new math standard by using manipulatives? Just swipe up on that standard to give her credit for perservering. Tommy just got out of his seat and ran to the pencil sharpener, tripping over Melandra on his way. Swipe down for not staying seated. Tory just voluntarily helped another student who didn’t understand how to make equivalent fractions with sets of colored blocks. Swipe up and smile because you know his mom is going to be thrilled at this show of kindness!
Steps in Canvas
- Create a custom outcome group in your Canvas course.
- Select the outcomes tab in course navigation.
- Click the +Outcome button.
- Click the +Group button.
- Name your new group appropriately, like “Behavior.”
- Optional: Add details.
- Create custom behavior outcomes in your Canvas course. Use this Guide: How do I create an Outcome for a Course?
- Select the Outcomes tab in the course navigation.
- Click the +Outcome button.
- Input a name for this outcome.
- Optional: Add a friendly name and details.
- Edit Criterion ratings as necessary by clicking on the pencil icon for each.
- Choose a Calculation Method. Calculation Method information is also found in the Guide: How do I create an Outcome for a Course?
Steps in MagicMarker
- Download the ios MagicMarker app from the App Store and install it on an iPad.
- Sign in as a teacher on the app.
- Choose your course, add students and outcomes.
- Name your outcomes table “Behavior Outcomes.”
- Create a table for each small group in your class.
4. Assess your students’ behaviors.
6. Share results with students and parents.
- Note: The MagicMarker app does not work on iPhones.
You can view Community Guides to learn more about the MagicMarker app, which are linked below.
- How do I download the MagicMarker app?
- How do I log in to the MagicMarker app?
- How do I use the MagicMarker app?
- How do I create a new table in MagicMarker?
- How do I assess my students in MagicMarker?
- How do I view student progress in MagicMarker?
- How does MagicMarker appear in the Learning Mastery Gradebook?
For Community Guides about Outcomes, use these links below.
- How do I use the outcomes page in a course?
- How do I create an outcome for a course?
- How do I create outcome groups for a course?
- How do I import outcomes for a course?
- How do I edit or delete an outcome in a course?
- How do I edit or delete an outcome group in a course?
- How do I create custom course outcome names for students?
- How do I move outcomes and outcome groups in a course?
- How do I find an existing outcome to add to a course?
- How do I align an outcome with a question bank?
- How do I find Learning Standards to add to a course-level outcome?
- How do I view all aligned items and artifacts within an outcome?
- How do I use the Learning Mastery Gradebook to view outcome results in a course?
- How do I view outcomes or student results individually in the Learning Mastery Gradebook?
- How do I view the outcomes results report for an individual student in a course?