We're planning to include online participation measures in Analytics 2, and need your input on how we define participation and why tracking participation matters.
Please join in the open-ended discussion here, or jump straight into our survey.
Why should we measure learner participation? Here are some reasons we've heard:
- So teachers can identify at-risk students
- So teachers can understand how participation relates to performance
- So students can reflect and improve their participation
- So course designers can understand content usage
- To foster a class community
With these reasons in mind, we would look at both a single measure of participation, as well as categorizing participation into different types of interactions:
- Content interactions, e.g. module views, page views, videos loaded
- Assessment interactions, e.g. assignment submissions, submission comments, annotations
- Social interactions, e.g. discussion replies, conversation messages, peer reviews
We expect that Participation in Analytics 2 would…
- Measure a student's participation relative to other students
- Be based primarily on weighted counts of interactions
- Give teachers the ability to turn it on or off
- Let teachers drill-down from participation >> interaction type >> specific tool usage
- Show students a view of their participation
What do you think of these ideas for Analytics 2?
Feel free to reply below or take our survey on participation in Analytics 2